Getting Started Steps
Downloading the Libby app and signing in
- Search for "Libby, by Overdrive" in your device's app store and download the Libby app.
- Open the app and follow the prompts.
- If this is your first time installing Libby on any of your devices, choose "I'll Search For A Library" or "... guess your library." If you search for a library, either type "lake forest library" or "60045." If "guess my library" does not pull up Lake Forest Library, then click "no" and then search for Lake Forest Library.
- Select "Digital Library of Illinois Lake Forest Library." Digital Library of Illinois (DLIL) includes 102 libraries across the state of Illinois.
- Select "Lake Forest Library" and then type in your library card number. Click sign in.
- Either select "I read with Kindle" or "Skip."
Searching for a book
- There are 2 ways to search or browse:
Use the magnifying glass search tool in the bottom left. Type in a title or author into the search box at the top of the screen.
- Use the library card icon to browse the DLIL in the bottom center left. Select any of the buttons immediately below the DLIL logo, select a category, or scroll to see featured book lists.
Borrowing a book
- To borrow an item, click on the book cover image. Select the word, "borrow."
- Above the book's cover, choose how long you would like to check the book out. Then, select the big red "borrow" button.
- Click "open book."
- Choose if you would like to read the book via Kindle or Libby.
- Learn how to check out Kindle books.
- If "Libby" was chosen, the book will open.
Reading or listening to a book
- Once checked out, books are available to read or listen to on your bookshelf. Select the books icon on the center right at the bottom. Tap on a book cover to open that title.
- Click "manage loan" to choose to check out the book either via Kindle or Libby. You may also return a book early here, or recommend a title to anther person by selecting "share title."
- "Reading Journey" will show you your progress with the title. View all of your activity in Libby with the clock icon in the bottom right.
You can either use the Libby app or
sign in to your LIBBY account on the Digital Library of Illinois page
What you can do with it
Borrow from a vast collection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines.
- 10 eBook/eAudiobook checkouts at a time
- No limit on eMagazines
7, 14, or 21 days (you choose in Settings or when checking out an item)
How to access
|⬤||App available, search for "libby" or "overdrive" in your app store|
|⬤||Works on iOS, Android, smartphones, tablets, Kindle Fire, Nook ... just install the app|
|⬤||Works on Kindle eInk readers ... just choose Kindle format when checking out an item|
|⬤||Read or listen to titles on a computer with an internet browser: dlil.info or lakeforestlibrary.org/dlil|