Lake Forest Library
360 E Deerpath Rd
Lake Forest IL 60045
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Lake Forest Library closes temporarily through March 31, but patrons will continue to be able to pick up reserved items
March 13, 2020 – LAKE FOREST Ill – Lake Forest Library is canceling all programs and temporarily closing the building to public access starting at 5:00 pm on Saturday, March 14, and will offer restricted services Monday–Saturday, March 16–31 in support of COVID-19 prevention efforts. This decision follows our ongoing conversations with the City of Lake Forest, local health officials, and the announcement that Lake Forest schools will be closed through April 3.
These safety measures are being taken out of concern for the health and safety for our community, not due to any known exposure. All Library users registered for canceled programs are being notified. The Library will extend due dates on all currently checked out materials until April 1. Patrons do not need to return anything while the building is closed.
As of today, we plan to reopen on Wednesday, April 1. We will continue to monitor the situation and reassess as more information becomes available.
Closing the Library is an extraordinarily difficult decision that we have made only because of these extraordinary circumstances. The health and safety of our patrons and staff is our first priority. According to the CDC, early actions to increase social distancing—isolating people and canceling gatherings—are the best way to contain the spread of COVID-19 and help "flatten the curve" of new COVID-19 cases to keep the healthcare system from becoming overwhelmed. We feel that closing the Library is the best way to protect the health of our community at this time. While we are closed, we will carry out extra cleaning and disinfecting of the building.
"We understand that the Library is a valuable resource at all times, but especially in times of uncertainty," said Library Director Catherine Lemmer. "We are committed to being available in all ways possible that do not conflict with the safety of our staff or Library users."
In an effort to support the practice of social distancing, we encourage Library users to:
- Access the Library's Download and Streaming services and Online Learning resources, which are available 24/7. Library cardholders can access Hoopla, Kanopy, Tutor.com, Lynda.com, Creativebug, the Great Courses, and so much more at www.lakeforestlibrary.org.
- Place holds on items and call the Library at 847-234-0636 to pick up your holds at the back dock. This new, temporary service will be available starting Monday, March 16. Through the end of the month, holds can be picked up Monday–Friday, 10:00 am–6:00 pm, and Saturday, 10:00 am–5:00 pm. Hold pickups will not be available on Sundays.
- Use the DVD2GO machine at the West Train Station, which is available when the train station is open.
- If it is appropriate and necessary for your situation, request Homebound Delivery service at www.lakeforestlibrary.org/homebound.
- Call or email the Library to ask our professional staff for factual information about COVID-19 or any other topic, as usual. Stay connected with the Library on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more ideas for things to do with your library card, and ways to stay healthy and happy during this complicated time.
The Library will promptly update the public of any further changes to services.
Please visit the Library's communication regarding COVID-19 at www.lakeforestlibrary.org/covid19.