How to Use this Guide
Welcome to the Lake Forest Library "Keys to Starting Your Own Business" resource guide!
Collected within are links to resources, information for beginners, videos, book lists, and contact information for business and government authorities.
On the right side of each page is a table of contents. Jump from section to section by clicking on a new topic. To find a book or magazine in the library catalog, simply click on the book or magazine cover.
Need additional assistance? Call 847.810.4612 to schedule an appointment with a Business Reference Librarian.
The Business Collection Room at Lake Forest Library houses books on:
- Finance and Economics (Dewey Call Numbers 330–339)
- Business and Management (650–659)
Also included with the Business Collection is an array of reference books, including:
- Annual dividends and stock reports
- Business rankings and directories
- Tax guides
- Sample business plans
Where is the Business Room? When facing the Circulation Desk in the Rotunda, turn right to enter the Reference Room, and the Business Room is in the back right corner.
The Library also offers an array of online resources including:
- Digital magazine subscriptions through RBdigital
- The Library's eBook and digital audiobook collections available through Libby, Cloud Library, or Hoopla.
- Financial databases such as S&P NetAdvantage, Morningstar and Value Line.
- Lynda.com (also known as LinkedIn Learning) offers continuing education opportunities to spruce up your business, marketing, computer, and sales skills
- Online business and NGO directories such as ReferenceUSA and Sorkins.
- Access to newspaper archives.
- Find real estate and bankruptcy public records through Records Information Service
- A business term dictionary through Gale Virtual Reference Library (find under "more").
To see the full list, visit the "Business and Investing" under "Research and Learn."