Each Lake Forest resident and business owner are eligible for a Lake Forest Library Card. With this library card, users have access to books, audio books, cds, dvds, and other materials at the Lake Forest Library, as well as the many online databases and downloadable titles as well - movies, music, and books!
To obtain a library card, bring a photo ID and proof of Lake Forest residency to the Circulation Desk.
The photo ID should be one of the following:
- Current Illinois drivers' license or state ID
- Current school or university ID
Proof of residency may be established using one of the following:
- Utility bill (electric, water, gas, telephone/mobile, cable) dated within 90 days of application
- Official mail addressed to the applicant from a state, county, city, village or federal government agency with postdate within 90 days of the application
- Bank statement dated within 90 days of application
- Illinois motor vehicle registration
- Insurance policy (homeowner's or rental) dated within 90 days of application
- Lease or real estate ownership or tax bill dated within 90 days of application
- Pay stub dated within 90 days of application
Electronic copies of the above may be submitted provided the account is accessed at the Library.
Children ages five and older may have their own library card using their parent or guardian's information
Library accounts expire after three years but may be renewed according to the same requirements as the initial application to ensure that contact information has not changed.
Teachers, students, and city employees living in unserved areas may use the Lake Forest Library. Limitations apply. Please call the Circulation Department, 847.234.0636, for further information.
Non-residents may purchase a Lake Forest Library Card; the fee is $526
Library Card Apps for Smartphones and Tablets
There are a number of free apps available for storing and using your library card. The Library recommends Cardstar for it's ease of use. For detailed instructions on how to load your card onto your device, please visit this link.